In 1997 former Sheriff, Martin Mahony recognized the need for a Bomb Disposal Unit for the safety of the citizens of Lorain County. Sheriff Mahony directed the development of a Bomb Squad to provide a front line response to incidents involving bombs, explosives, or other shock sensitive materials. Monies from grants were used to purchase the latest safety equipment.
Officers were selected to attend FBI Hazardous Devices School (HDS), Redstone Arsenal, Huntsville AL. Upon graduating, the Deputies were given a certificate of Accreditation by the National Bomb Squad Commanders Advisory Board, essentially certifying Lorain County’s first ever Bomb Squad. This unit is comprised of certified officers from departments within the county.
The Bomb Squads responsibilities are, but not limited to:
1. Render safe and/or remove suspected improvised explosive devices, incendiary devices, explosives, explosive chemicals, pyrotechnics, and ammunition.
2. Provide for proper and safe transportation, disposal and/or storage of explosives.
3. Conduct Post-Bomb crime scene investigations.
4. Collect and preserve evidence.
5. Provide technical support to Special Operations.
6. Support SWAT and Hostage Negotiations Teams.
Equipment utilized by the Bomb Squad:
The Remotec Andros 6A Robot
Containment vessel (bomb trailer)
Portable X-Ray machine
Since the activation of the Bomb Squad, the unit has thus far responded to over a dozen incidents… Questions and Comments can be submitted to our Bomb Squad from the Contact page. Make sure to select Bomb Squad from Inquiry Routing.