Effective July 1st 2022 all new praecipe’s that are submitted to the Lorain County Clerk of courts must include a check for the license fee for the sale of property on the state website for Sheriff sales per the Ohio revised code 2329.153.
A separate check for $220 dollars made out to the Lorain County Clerk of Courts is to be sent along with the praecipe.
Effective October 17th, 2019
There will be an increase in the recording fees charged by the recorder per house bill 166. The following chart lists the new prices.
1 page: $34.00
3 pages $42.00
5 pages $58.00
7 pages $74.00
9 pages $90.00
2 pages $34.00
4 pages $50.00
6 pages $66.00
8 pages $82.00
10 pages $98.00
House Bill 390 – Instructions for house bill 390 requirements.
House Bill 138 – Instructions for house bill 138 requirements.
- Confirmation Entry – Judicial sales require that the confirmation of sale is filed by the plaintiff’s attorney within 30 days of the date of sale. Submit the confirmation order to the judges office for review.
- Deed – The attorney representing the plaintiff shall prepare the deed within 7 days of confirmation. O.R.C. 2329.31
- Transfer and Record – The Sheriff’s Office shall within 14 business day of receiving and approving all necessary documents transfer and record the deed in accordance with O.R.C. – 2329.36.
LEGALS – 01-29-15 UPDATED – The Lorain County Sheriff’s Office will require the completion and approval of the Property description form prior to the sale. Please submit the legal to be attached to the deed to the auditor for their review and to stamp with a blue approved stamp prior to sending it to our office.
The following shall be submitted to the Sheriff’s civil office no later than 14 days from the confirmation date.
Completed conveyance form – (For transfer of Deed) – Goes with the check for the Auditor – next line. The conveyance form must be typed or it will not be accepted by the Auditor’s office.
Check – made out to “Lorain County Auditor” – (This is for the transfer of the Deed)
– The Lorain County Auditor wants a contact number to be included on all checks to them.
Check – made out to “Lorain County Recorder” – (This is for the recording of the Deed)
Check – made out to “Lorain County Clerk of Courts” (court costs) – The administrative cost of 75.00 and the Sheriff’s deed fee of $51.00 are included in this amount.
Please include a self addressed stamped envelope for the return of documents. There will be an administrative cost of $75.00 for the transfer and recording of the deed added to each case. This amount will be added to the other Sheriff’s fees for the case. (Ohio Revised Code – 2327.02)
- The taxes do not have to be included with the above listed documents. Taxes due for the previous year should be paid to the Lorain County Treasurer – they will forward the verification form (orange form) to our office.
- Prorated Taxes – Prorated taxes are estimated by the Lorain County Treasurer. They can be found by using the provide link on the Civil office main page to prorated taxes.
To all Attorneys
Reference: Sheriff’s Deed Fee of $51.00
Effective with sales after 09-01-13 the Sheriff’s deed fee will be included with the Clerk of court fees. This change will be reflected in cost bills after September 1st 2013. The following will need changed on confirmations for all orders of sales with a sale date after 09-01-13.
1. Remove line item referencing the Sheriff’s deed fee for $51.00
2. Do not write checks made payable to Lorain County Sheriff for deed fee. (it will be included in the amount that is written for the clerk)
All confirmations with a sale date prior to September 1st 2013 will be done as they are currently being done. The cost for these sales will have already been docketed by the clerk.If you have any questions on this matter please do not hesitate to call our office.(440-329-5515).